US Open official reveals scenarios considered for this year’s event


The US Open organizers are working on a plan of how to safely stage this year’s Grand Slam event at Flushing Meadows. The tennis season has been suspended since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic and there won’t be any Tour events taking place until at least early-August.

The French Open was rescheduled, Wimbledon was canceled but the US Open organizers remain hopeful they will be able to stage the event as scheduled from August 31 – September 13. The Associated Press exclusively revealed how it all should look at this year’s US Open: “Charter flights to ferry U.S.

Open tennis players and limited entourages from Europe, South America and the Middle East to New York. Negative COVID-19 tests before traveling. Centralized housing. Daily temperature checks. “No spectators. Fewer on-court officials.

No locker-room access on practice days.”

Nothing is 100 percent but the goal is to stage the US Open as initially scheduled

“All of this is still fluid,” USTA Chief Executive for professional tennis Stacey Allaster told the AP in a telephone interview.

“We have made no decisions at all. “We continue to be, I would say, 150% focused on staging a safe environment for conducting a U.S. Open at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York on our dates. It’s all I wake up — our team wakes up — thinking about.

New York — the home of the US Open — has been one of the hardest hit cities in the world by the coronavirus pandemic. There had been rumors the US Open could be staged in Indian Wells or Orlando. Allaster says it’s their responsibility to explore alternative locations but they are still fully committed to hosting the US Open at Flushing Meadows.

“The idea of an alternative venue, an alternative date … we’ve got a responsibility to explore it, but it doesn’t have a lot of momentum,” Allaster said. The decision on the US Open is expected to come mid-June as a postponement or even a cancellation remain an option.

Anyway, the US Open organizers will continue to put up a big effort and do everything in their power to proceed with the event.



Source of the article

Next Post

Clippers' Lou Williams calls the return of sports a 'distraction' amid ongoing social issues

Photo: Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images Lou Williams believes the return of sports currently is a ‘distraction’ from the nationwide protests and civil unrest. However, the star of the Los Angeles Clippers made it clear that he wants to play basketball again and be part of the resumption of the season. […]