U-turn from Real Madrid leaves Man Utd in pole position for €50m man


Date published: Wednesday 17th June 2020 9:05

Manchester United have jumped to the front of the queue for Donny van de Beek after Real Madrid reportedly pulled out of the running for the midfielder.

United’s interest in talented midfielder Van de Beek was last week confirmed by Ajax CEO Edwin van der Sar but it was always thought that United were behind Real in the pecking order.

As long ago as January, reliable Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf claimed that van de Beek would be joining Zinedine Zidane’s Los Blancos in the summer.

The outlet’s chief sports writer, Valentijn Driessen, told Veronica Inside (via Goal.com) of the impending transfer, saying: “You can write that down [the Van de Beek to Real Madrid transfer being done]. It’s all settled. It’s done.”

The 23-year-old was all set to depart after reportedly agreeing personal terms on a £45million (€50m) move.

Now though the same source claims Real have “backtracked” on a transfer with the LaLiga giants struggling with a £500million bill to renovate the Bernabeu on top of the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

 

 

De Telegraaf’s Driessen has again spoke to Veronica Inside about Van de Beek’s future and says the move is dead.

He said: “I now hear that Real Madrid is backtracking. The chance that he will go to Real Madrid is nil.

“The transfer fee was fixed. He was allowed to go for €50million. In fact, everything was agreed. It was only about the medical examination.”

It leaves the door open for United to make their move, even though Van de Beek’s preference was understood to be Spain.

 

De Boer would understand if Van de Beek left for Man Utd

Donny Van De Beek, Mike Te Wierik

Former United man Van Der Sar has admitted Van de Beek will be allowed to leave this summer, along with team-mates Andre Onana and Nicolas Tagliafico.

And Ajax coach Ronald de Boer admitted that he would “understand” if he now decided to join United.

He told FOX Sports: “When you hear these clubs go by, I know your heart beats faster. Maybe this train won’t pass by him anymore.

“If Real Madrid again decide not to push for Donny, then I can understand it if he decides to go to Manchester United instead.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is looking to bolster his midfield and reports, including Spanish publication, Sport, via Sport Witness, claim United’s board have overwhelmingly decided that Van de Beek is their no. 1 candidate.

 



Source of the article

Next Post

'2008 Wimbledon win turned Rafael Nadal into a superstar', says former World No. 1

Sunday, July 6, 2008 Roger Federer entered Wimbledon’s Center Court to face his eternal rival Rafael Nadal and try to conquer his sixth consecutive Championships title, in a domain that has been unchallenged since 2003. But the Spanish player, barely 22 years old at the time, was not of the […]