Time to get back on court


American tennis star John Isner has praised the United States Tennis Association for the efforts they have been showing to stage the US Open. On Tuesday, the New York Governor Andrew Cuomo gave the US Open organizers the green light to proceed with the event.

However, there won’t be fans and players will have to follow strict hygiene restrictions during the tournament. A few months ago, the situation didn’t look too optimistic for the US Open organizers but they refused to quit and they were rewarded.

“Well done USTA for being so forward thinking in getting this done. A great achievement. Players and fans alike are thrilled with this development. Time to get back on the courts! Isner said.

Well done @usta for being so forward thinking in getting this done.

A great achievement. Players and fans alike are thrilled with this development. Time to get back on the courts! https://t.co/Hbfb8Dwsns — John Isner (@JohnIsner) June 16, 2020

Isner, ranked at No. 21 in the world, debuted at the US Open in 2007 and since then he has made 13 consecutive appearance at the American Grand Slam event.

The 35-year-old American has made two quarterfinals at the US Open throughout his career.

Pedro Sousa will play the US Open but he calls for fairness

Sousa is set to make his main draw debut at the US Open at the age of 32.

Sousa, ranked at No. 110 in the world, is set to make the main draw cut for the US Open since there shouldn’t be qualifying event. The Portuguese thinks the USTA should try to organize the US Open but the safety has to be the number one priority throughout the whole process.

Spoke with #110 Pedro Sousa, who with no qualifying being played is into his 1st #USOpen MD.

He plans to make the trip and thinks “the USTA is in its right to organize it and should do it as long as every rule is followed”, but warns the situation should be fair to all players.

— Gaspar Ribeiro Lança (@gasparlanca) June 16, 2020

Sousa, who has been spent the majority of his career on the Challenger and ITF Tour, feels for the lower-ranked players. “It’s not fair to have only some players fighting for points.

Everyone should have that chance, so if there are Futures and Challengers where everyone can earn points it’s fair, otherwise they shouldn’t be left out,” Sousa said. “This is a very delicate subject and it will be difficult to please everyone, but it’s key that the circuit gives opportunities to everyone, as it usually does.”

Pedro Sousa: “It’s not fair to have only some players fighting for points. Everyone should have that chance, so if there are Futures and Challengers where everyone can earn points it’s fair, otherwise they shouldn’t be left out.

— Gaspar Ribeiro Lança (@gasparlanca) June 16, 2020

The Buenos Aires runner-up reckons “this is a very delicate subject and it will be difficult to please everyone, but it’s key that the circuit gives opportunities to everyone, as it usually does.”

— Gaspar Ribeiro Lança (@gasparlanca) June 16, 2020

Earlier this season, Sousa made his maiden ATP final as a lucky loser in Buenos Aires.
Unfortunately for the Portuguese, his Buenos Aires dream didn’t finish with a maiden title as he suffered a straight-set defeat to rising Norwegian star Casper Ruud in the final.

The US Open is scheduled to take place from August 31 – September 13.



Source of the article

Next Post

Man City beat Arsenal to deny Liverpool chance to win title at Everton

Date published: Wednesday 17th June 2020 10:16 David Luiz put further doubts on his chances of staying at Arsenal as he was sent off in their first game since the resumption of the Premier League. Since Arsenal last played three months ago, reports have emerged suggesting that Luiz could be […]