Date published: Thursday 11th June 2020 8:18
Manchester United look to have missed out on a deal to sign Jude Bellingham, with the Birmingham youngster opting to sign for Borussia Dortmund.
Bellingham has become one of the most exciting players in England after less than one full season in the Championship.
The 16-year-old has chipped in with seven direct goal contributions in 32 Championship games, missing only five matches so far.
He was heavily linked with Premier League clubs such as United and Arsenal in January, while Borussia Dortmund are also said to be keen.
United, however, were warned just last week they were in danger of missing out on the teenager’s signature.
And those fears were raised when it was claimed Borussia Dortmund had struck an agreement to sign Bellingham.
Now, head of football for Bild, Christian Falk, has confirmed that Bellingham will move to BVB.
In an interview with Utdreport, Falk claimed Jadon Sancho’s development in the Bundesliga had convinced him to move to Dortmund.
“I think the Sancho way is a big advertisement for the Bundesliga for English talents,” Falk told the website.
“Sancho wouldn’t have got this chance at City as quickly. Pep Guardiola apparently even spoke to the bosses of Bayern, saying that Sancho was difficult. Nevertheless, Bayern still wanted Sancho. Sancho decided against the top club Bayern, which has experienced stars similar to City and Co in England.
“The strong clubs in the Bundesliga, behind Bayern, offer talented English players a chance to play, even internationally.”
Discussing Bellingham, Falk added: “Bellingham will therefore also go to Dortmund, not United. You will see. Our information is that he has chosen Borussia Dortmund.”
If not Bellingham, can United sign Sancho?
Falk, however, still believes United can sign Sancho this summer and says Dortmund have been searching for replacements.
However, he warns that any deal will set United back at least €100million – or a transfer won’t happen.
“I have heard that Borussia Dortmund are already talking with agents for candidates who could replace Sancho,” Falk added.
“But they are still very vague in the search. This is not a sign that the Sancho sale has so far been considered inevitable. The club will not sell Sancho unless the transfer fee is over €100million. All sides in the club want him to stay at least one season more.
“This transfer will only happen this summer if Sancho absolutely wants to leave and and his transfer fee is met.”
United are also one of five clubs said to be in contact with the agent of a Valencia star over a summer switch.