Feliciano Lopez:Tournaments will see a reduction in prize money this year & next year


Spain’s Feliciano Lopez says that it is very likely that prize money on the ATP & WTA Tour will be reduced when the professional tennis circuit resumes, according to the BBC.

Feliciano Lopez says prize money on the professional circuit will reduce

Lopez, who is also the Tournament Director of the Madrid Open event, which is a combined ATP & WTA Masters event, says, “We have to understand that tennis is not going to be the same, at least for one, two, three years.

I don’t know how long. The companies and the sponsors, they might have to fire employees. This is happening everywhere in the world so the first thing they cut is sponsorship, and this is going to be affecting tennis massively.”

Lopez adds that players the tennis circuit needs to be united in order to overcome this moment. “We need to survive this moment and we need to be united. The players need to understand that it’s going to be a significant reduction in the prize money.

I see now the scenario where tournaments will survive with a significant reduction in prize money — not only for this year, but also for (the) 2021 season”. All professional tennis tournaments have been cancelled since mid-March due to the global pandemic.

The French Open Grand Slam has been postponed to the end of September while the Wimbledon tournament has been cancelled already. The USTA is pushing to get the US Open started and a decision is expected on the same on Monday 15th June.

Feliciano López peaked at No. 12 in the world rankings. In 2005, he became the first male Spanish tennis player to reach the quarter-finals of Wimbledon since 1972, when Manuel Orantes reached the semi-finals. He also reached the quarter-finals fof Wimbledon in 2008 and 2011.

He reached the quarter-finals of the US Open in 2015, and won his first Grand Slam title at the 2016 French Open when he won the men’s doubles title with Marc López. During the 2018 Wimbledon Championships, López made his 66th consecutive Grand Slam main draw appearance, surpassing the previous record of 65 consecutive appearances held by Roger Federer.

As of the 2020 Australian Open, his record stands at 72 consecutive appearances. Lopez had earlier indicated that there is a possibility that the Madrid Open may also take place in September as part of the revamped calendar.



Source of the article

Next Post

New York Governor confirms the US Open from August 31!

Instead of being the fourth and last Major of the season, the US Open will host the second edition of the most prestigious tennis tournaments in 2020, starting from August 31. Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York State, has confirmed on Tuesday that the US Open will go on as […]